Tuesday, September 27, 2005

FROM THE DESK OF JONNY GREENWOOD

It's always worth keeping an eye on the Radiohead blog, Dead Air Space, as the band settle back into the studio and kill time between takes of Tom being locked in a bucket of water adding stuff.

Jonny Greenwood's made an interesting confession:

There is loads of great music out there that you’ll never have time to find out about. I’m always saying this - boring the arse off someone about this. Partly to make me sound like I know loads of great music that they don’t, and partly to justify why I’ve never heard a note of, say, the Stooges (though I really must, I know, I know...how can I claim to be a an Iggy Pop fan if I've never even heard 'I wanna be your dog'? etc. etc.)

This reminds of the piece Danny Baker used to do on his shows, where people would ring in and reveal the things they'd never done - like never playing Monopoly, or never drinking coffee; it does seem curious that someone of Greenwood's age and background has managed to avoid The Stooges; especially someone who likes Iggy. You wonder if it's now become a superstition - if he worried that if someone phoned him up and played Jesus Loves The Stooges down the phone, Greenwood's life might start to unravel.

He introduces this thought as a way of explaining why he's listenint to dub in the studio. Be interesting if this is going to feed its way into the sound of the album...


... meanwhile, let's spook him out by sending him the rarities & offcuts boxset


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.