Monday, April 16, 2007

Marilyn Manson: I was too immature for Dita

Most of the world has decided that the end of the Marilyn Manson-Dita Von Teese marriage was down to Dita suddenly looking at her husband squeezing himself into PVC before heading off to freak out the straights (or have a chat with his accountant) and saw him as we do.

That's not what Brian thinks, though. He tells Le Parisien newspaper:

"Our relationship ended at Halloween," he tells the paper. "I was completely destroyed psychologically. I'd rented a house and begun working on this disc, which sort of tells everything that happened to me during the past year."

"I was married to someone who wanted me to change," Manson says. "Become more adult, more responsible. I began not to like myself, not like what I do. I lost my identity. Everything began collapsing around me. The record allowed me to put an end to that. Dita left at Christmas while I was recording."

Manson, of course, is an adult; he might wear a clown-like version of Hot Topic wear to earn a living, but he's not a little teenager, much as he'd like to pretend he is.

In fact, now he's dating a teenager, he has actually managed to give his character a genuinely creepy aspect:
"I've found my double, my twin, with my new girlfriend, Evan Rachel Wood.

"She's l9 and certainly that's very young but that's not a problem for me. She likes the same things as me. She understands I like to get up when night falls and go to sleep at dawn."

Good lord, he really does sound like a sad old drone propping up a golf club bar. You half expect him to blurt that "a man is only as old as the woman he feels."


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus you're fucking pretentious. And snobby. I don't know which is the more annoying in a pseudo-critic.

Anonymous said...

What a fucking loser. How could anyone be okay with themselves after pulling something like that?

Oh, and that Manson is an alright guy.

Anonymous said...

You're quit the journalist -- you've got all the knack and skill for it as a two-year-old has of conception. ;)

Simon Hayes Budgen said...

anon #1: I'd imagine that it would be hard to separate pretension from the snobbery, but then I'm not sure what a pseudo-critic actually is: someone who pretends to be a critic but actually isn't? Or a critic who's a pseud in the Pseud's Corner sense? But in the latter, the pretension would seem to be a prerequisite.

anon #3: You're suggesting that the recently-conceived have no conception of conception?

I'm presuming that you're fans of Manson's increasingly ridiculous career; I'm just sorry that you didn't find my idiocy as entertaining as you clearly do his.

eyetie said...

Anon #1: A religious reference, a swearword, a tautology and a made-up word (just what the fuck is a pseudo-critic?) are not going to make your criticisms any more valid.

Everybody has a name so I'm guessing all Brian's fans are nobodies with neither the wit nor the wisdom to point out what they disagreed with in the article. Just saying something along the lines of "it's shit" is not going to make me understand why you gave up thirty seconds of your life to comment here.

I personally think MM was a great artist both on CD and live (not something every alternative artist can lay clim to) but lost the plot somewhere around 2002.

Chris Brown said...

Oh, I get it - they're 'The Nobodies' like in that song he did! I'm still disappointed they don't call themselves things like "Satan's Lovedonkey" or "Puppet Of Eternal Pain" or something.

Oh and second Anonymous - that's no way to talk about his new girlfriend.


PS - I presume it's an artefact of the translation that he refers to his new album as "this disc" as if he's about seventy.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.