Monday, October 29, 2007

Morrissey doesn't appreciate a joke

Kristeenyoung, who had been enjoying support slots on Morrissey's US tour, are enjoying the slots no more. Kristeen from the band made a little gag about Mozzer, he heard and didn't crack a smile:

"Morrissey gives good head, I mean, er, cunnilingus..."

That, apparently, was enough for the band to be kicked off the tour.

Kristeen blogs about the event:
My band, KRISTEENYOUNG, have been asked to leave the Morrissey tour. Although I have been advised not to respond or issue a statement, my feelings are that I must. We have been asked to leave because of something I said on stage at The Hammerstein Ballroom, in New York City, this past Tuesday night. Unfortunately, the statement has been perceived as being profane (when, actually, one of the two words in question is a scientific term found in junior high, health class text books, and the other word, I feel most would agree, is lightweight slang) or defamatory. What I said was part of a thread of stage statements I made throughout our set. They were metaphorical and overstated to make an artistic point. The "offending" statement, in particular, was in no way a literal statement, and was very much in keeping with the tone of my writing in general. I reach for beauty and intelligence in my lyrics, but try to retain a bit of the everyday in them. Maybe the statement was a bit TOO everyday. Maybe I misjudged… but I meant no harm. I love Morrissey with all of my heart, soul, body, spirit, to the core of my existence and always will. These will be the only words I will ever write or speak on the subject ever again. Please don't ask for an interview or e-mail me with questions. Thanks to those who understand and who are brave enough to say so.

The band's fans are responding with suggestions that Morrissey was behaving in a homophobic - rather than humourless - fashion, which is clearly misguided; the real scandal is the "advice" given to Young that she keeps her mouth shut on the subject. Mozzer comes out of this looking rather pathetic


1 comment:

eyetie said...

>>
Mozzer comes out of this looking rather pathetic.
<<

Hmmm...it's not exactly new to anyone that Mozzer wants to keep his sexuality a personal issue so to have it discussed by his support act with the audience before he was due to play might seem at best naive and at worst an insensitive and selfish attempt at publicity seeking.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.