Sunday, June 06, 2010

Belinda Carlise not even sure her feet were placed on Earth during 1980s

Naturally, the Daily Mail isn't interested in Belinda Carlisle's coke binges for their own sake, oh no. It's because she's an inspiring story:

Belinda Carlisle tells how she turned her life round after three-day hotel drug binge

Although, that said, the Mail does have to go into some of the prurient details, just so, you know, you can tell how much she had to struggle:
'I had gone to London for business, but spent three straight days locked in my hotel room, doing cocaine,' she writes.

'I went on the biggest binge of my life, which is saying something considering I had used, boozed, and abused for 30 years.

'When I looked at my eyes in the mirror, I didn't see anyone looking back at me. The lights were out. I was gone.

'It scared me - yet I didn't stop until I had an extraordinarily frightening out-of-body experience where I saw myself overdosing and being found dead in the hotel room.

'I saw the whole thing happen, and I knew that if I kept doing coke, I was going to die.'

The Daily Mail readership, of course, will appreciate this story about how one woman was able to overcome the emptiness of her life, get herself back on course, and live to tell the tale. Right, Lois in Newcastle?
Who cares? She's been a has-been druggie for years! She's shown herself up to be a total hypocrite and liar. When she promoted her records (flops) years ago she went on and on about how she USED to be a druggie in the Go-Gos (yeah, they were rubbish too) and she was so happy with her family etc. Now it seems she was a druggie all along and now needs a few quid and is flogging her life story which is as tired, jaded and predictable as her 'career'.

Naturally, the opinion of someone who thinks the Go-Gos were rubbish can be safely discarded.

C Kent, from Krypton - hey, that's craziness right there for you - is angry that she didn't take enough drugs:
COME ON! a three day binge and you think your going to die. Think Keith Richards, Denis Hopper, I rest my case Drama Queen!
Stop using, oh poor me I took drugs & booze please feel sorry for me, to sell your book, you just scratched at the surface babe.

"Hello? I'd like to return this My Drugs Hell memoir, as it doesn't have enough drugs in it. Do you have something where someone claws their own face off while they're under the influence?"

There's no fooling John Whittamore from the East Midlands:
so what,are we really interested,I notice a book

Well done, John: you've noticed that a piece where the Mail has liberally lifted chunks from someone's newly published book is related to a newly published book. And yet if he went round calling himself detective, it'd be him that was in the wrong.

Francis in Newcastle can't believe the Mail, of all people, are colluding with foreign types coming round here, taking our misery memoir jobs:
Sad story. Never heard of her and don't know who she is/was, but hope she's OK. Couldn't the Daily Mail find a story about a British person battling with drug addiction? Why focus on unknown Americans all the time?

And from the seaside, CJ has a major beef:
Rock star? "Heaven is a Place on Earth" is a schmaltzy, striaight-edged pop song if ever there was one.

Pop star, not rock star. Not punk.

Remember, musicians: you'll always be classified forever according to the only song that CJ has heard you do. In that sense, Belinda has provided a valuable warning to us all.


1 comment:

Olive said...

It's always been a rule of thumb of mine that that anybody who uses 'pop song' as a term of abuse is humourless dick sponge. Using it on the Daily Mail website just proves it. Go on- trip along to You Tube and type in 'Our Lips Are Sealed'- if you like neither the Fun Boy Three or Go-Go's version, then there's probably no hope for you.
Changing the subject slightly Simon, did you ever hear the Terry, Blair and Anoushka album? I've only ever met one other person who will admit to owning it.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.