Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Donnas: Torry retires

Torry Castellano, drummer with The Donnas, is retiring, hurt. In her own words:

Hey All,

This is a very difficult message for me to write. As many of you already know, I've been dealing with a painful shoulder injury for the last 2 years and I have had to take time off from playing the drums. I have tried numerous different therapies, including physical therapy, sometimes up to 3 times a week, trigger point shots, exercises, and rest, but none of them have gotten me to a place where I can play again. Unfortunately, unlike when I had my wrist problems, there is no specific surgery that can help with my shoulder.

As I am still in pain, my doctors have come to the conclusion that I cannot play the drums anymore because if I continue I will be in pain for the rest of my life. After much thought and many conversations with the other girls I have decided I have to retire. My retirement has brought me a lot of sadness because I love playing the drums and being a part of the Donnas family, which of course includes all of you. I've loved all the experiences that we've had together and I really want to thank all of you for your support and the fun times. Even though I can't play anymore, I would never want the other girls to have to give up something that they love and I know that they will continue to make and play great rock 'n roll.

I've had to think about what I'm going to do now. While I have been resting my shoulder, I've been taking some classes and doing this has really helped me to have something to put my energies into. I've decided to continue with this, and I will be starting Stanford University in the fall. I know that I'll miss living near the other girls, but I'll be seeing them and the rest of you at their future Bay Area shows.

No matter what, I will always be a Donna and be a part of the Donna's family. I know you guys will continue to support the band and I'll be there too, as the #1 Donnaholic.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have always admired your drumming style and found you to be an inspiration to me. This is the saddest news ever and im finding about it 6 months late!! i wish you the best, and besides, i know youll be drumming with your pens and pencils in all your classes at stanford ha!

a fan.
jay

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I never thought of the Donnas without you on drums. I got to see you play twice in Michigan in the same number of days. First at the Intersection in Grand Rapids, and then at Michigan State (MSU) where I got to meet you all as a fan club member. The last time I saw the Donnas was in Cleveland, and you were not on drums, and I was bummed. I hoped it was just temporary.Good luck, You are one of my favorite drummers.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.