Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Moyles unpaid: BBC neglect to give Chris quids

Unquestionably, it's wrong for the BBC, due to whatever administrative cock-up, to have not paid Chris Moyles since July.

Having said that: it happens quite often at the BBC when people change roles or jump contracts. It's an administrative error, not the BBC withholding the funds indefinitely. And if Moyles really is such a financial basket-case that he can't cope with the interruption, I'm sure the BBC would find a way to pay him informally and recoup later.

What you shouldn't do, in this situation, is to go on to the radio and moan about it:

For about 30 minutes from the start of his show at 6.30am, during which no records were played, Moyles railed against BBC management, accusing them of showing a "huge lack of respect" and delivering a "massive FU to me". He said he knew who was responsible for his not getting paid and branded them a "moronic div".

Moyles opened the show after the 6.30am news bulletin sounding downcast and launched into his long, rambling monologue by saying: "Do you know what, I wasn't going to come in today. I hate the fact I've been put into a position by Radio 1 and the BBC that I don't want to be in.

"I'm very very angry, very very angry or being put into this position. I can't tell you how furious I am. I haven't been paid since the end of July and no-one cares about it. No one's bothered."

After being quizzed by his team why he was feeling so low, Moyles said: "Yesterday I thought why should I even bother hauling myself out of bed at 5.30am, 5.45am. Why should I bother if they can't be bothered?"

He continued: "They can't be bothered to pay me. Why should I come in? It's a two way street. What annoys me is the fact I mentioned it to people this week. Fix it, just get it fixed. It's a huge lack of respect and a massive FU to me. 'It doesn't matter'? Really? It's for free? I love my job, don't get me wrong I love my job."
It's not a huge lack of respect. Not in the way that, say, slagging off your employer when you're supposed to be working is.

Moyles then moves on:
"It's to do with our new contracts. Some dope, I pretty much know who's responsible in this building. I even know the name of the moronic div. I bet you any money their ass is getting paid," he said.
[...]
Sounding at the end of his tether, Moyles said his agent Vivienne Clore "texted me last night and said you've got to do the show for the listeners, they haven't done wrong ..."

Moyles appeared to refer to his personal life – he reportedly recently split up with his girlfriend Sophie Waite and spent last night sleeping on a friend's sofa – when he told listeners: "I don't need it at the moment. I don't need any more stress in my life at the moment and they know that and yet they can't be arsed. 'It doesn't matter, it's only Chris, it doesn't matter.' I've had enough. I don't need it. Every morning I'm in, like the rest of us are. Every day flogging it, working it every single day we care about this show more than anyone else on this network. We work so hard - 'Oh, youv'e not been paid, don't worry about it.'

"I know a lot of people think 'whinge, whinge, whinge'... it's respect... I'm sick of it"
Yes, it's unacceptable. And, perhaps, not turning up would be justified. But turning up and banging on? That's showing a real lack of respect for your audience.

What would you do if you went into a coffee shop and, instead of making you a coffee, the assistant instead spent twenty minutes talking about his problems with HR? Or a surgeon used time you thought for was for a consultation to whinge about trouble getting his parking space assigned.

Yes, Chris, you should be paid. But don't moan to the audience about it. It's respect. We're sick of it.


4 comments:

Notajar said...

All of what you said. I agree with it completely.

Anonymous said...

Shame on the BBC for wasting Licence payers money on this talentless shit in the first place!

James said...

"I haven't been paid since the end of July"

I'm not exactly acquainted with the minutae of his wage arrangements but, if he gets paid monthly like a lot of people do, that would suggest that he's missed one payday, i.e. the end of August. Granted, that would probably balls most of us up, but then most of us aren't lucky enough to earn (£630k/12=)£52,500 before tax in each month leading up to it (plus whatever you get for hosting a tinpot gameshow and flogging hardback copies of My First Jeremy Clarkson on the side).

Considering how much the BBC have defended him in the past (I'm sure my boss would love to explain to clients why I'd used the word 'Gay' to mean 'Rubbish'), you'd think he'd be a bit more forgiving.

Paul said...

This is all I've got to add about it. http://twitpic.com/2r66eh

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.