Saturday, February 26, 2011

There is power in a union

In the face of the attempts to return to slavery disguised as budget balancing in Wisconsin, Steve Earle is dedicating his Sirius show as a show of support this weekend:

"I got this soapbox on Saturday nights, and I'm going to climb up on it and holler," Earle tells Spinner. "This is important. Collective bargaining for working people is a fundamental component of democracy, and we can't afford to let it slip away."
At a rather more sharp edge of things, Tom Morello is in the state made of cheese:
A nice lady at the airport looked at my guitar and politely asked, "Why are you going to Madison, young man?" I replied, "Because they're making history in Madison, ma'am. And I don't want to miss it."

So I flew to Chicago with Wayne Kramer (of the legendary MC5) only to find that all the flights to Madison had been cancelled due to a big winter storm. But neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor dark of night can keep The Nightwatchman from his appointed task. My good friend and fellow musician from Libertyville, Illinois, Ike Reilly, picked us up at the airport and together with our small crew of rabble-rousers we began the precarious journey up I-90 through the storm.
There doesn't seem to be much else in the way of musical rallying-round, though - or perhaps it's just not getting reported that deeply?


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.