Monday, October 17, 2011

Cliff Richard: After The Joy Of Living has gone

There are obvious jokes clinging to the news that Cliff Richard has said that he'd consider euthanasia, mainly of the 'offering to help' variety, but it is actually quite brave of an older man with an evangelising Christian background to openly support the idea that life might become unbearable; and that such a life is not a life at all:

“It doesn’t haunt me but I have discussed it with my sister and I said, ‘If this happens to me, don’t let it go on too long - and make sure I am looked after, as I don’t want to be a burden on anybody else’,” he said.

“I may live to be 100. It may happen at 90. They may well allow euthanasia. The terrible thing is that dementia doesn’t take your life but it removes it away from you - you don’t have a life.”
There is something a bit odd about saying, in effect, 'I hope I live long enough that I'll be able to end my life early'.

Pity he didn't accept that there comes a point when copyrights have become so old they should be allowed to pass on without fuss, but I suppose there are some things that people will cling to whatever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.