Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lydon draws attention to single he doesn't want you to buy

John Lydon is livid - livid - with the re-release of God Save The Queen. Livid, I tells you:

In a statement, Lydon said of the re-release: "It is certainly not my personal plan or aim. I am proud of what The Sex Pistols achieved and always will be but this campaign totally undermines what The Sex Pistols stood for.

"This is not my campaign. I am pleased that the Sex Pistols recordings are being put out there for a new generation, however, I wish for no part in the circus that is being built up around it."
'Yes,' continued Lydon, 'those singles that are available in all good stores, via Amazon.co.uk and to download from iTunes certainly don't have my blessing. I'm certainly doing my best to stop people from noticing what otherwise would have been an insignificant and frankly embarrassing re-release by trumpeting quite loudly how I don't approve of people buying them'. He then got a box of records from the boot of his car, yelling 'roll up, roll up' as he sold them, tutting in the face of everybody as he pocketed their cash.


2 comments:

paul wells said...

I really can't see the point of 're-releasing' singles these days. I mean, its not like God Save The Queen is going to be any more available on iTunes than it was last week.

James said...

I thought that too. Of course, one benefit of this is that it seems to have killed off the tiresome tabloid staple of 'campaigning' to get an old song to number 1. Pre-iTunes, not a week would go by without the Bizarre column launching yet another zany wacky sub-student-magazine crusade to convince the music industry they should re-release Agadoo or Snooker Bloody Loopy. Hacks would guffaw "Hey, Keith Harris is brilliant in Channel 5's 'Celebrity Enema', we should demand Orville's Song is re-released and then get it to number 1!!". Over the following days campaign updates would be posted, stars would be prodded for their endorsement and a shit logo would be designed. Then - Success! The re-release date would be announced. The campaign would go into overdrive, ending only on Sunday night when the single eventually limped to number 43 and was never spoken of again. These days, this sort of space-filling piffle doesn't really work. Any 'campaign' would consist of telling people to go to iTunes straight away to buy something that's probably a bit shit. Good luck spinning 800 words out of that.

(Incidentally, I once spoke to a music industry bod who told me that, more often than not, they'd be planning to re-release a track anyway for some reason or other, and gossip hacks would simply spot these in the forthcoming release schedules and then launch their 'campaign' to get it to happen, a bit like me 'campaigning' to get a massive tree put up in the market square in December)

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.